Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pennant Banner

Using the fabrics I showed you on Monday I finished Peyton's pennant banner!  I really love it and it will add so much to the finished look of his room.  I also did it without sewing one stitch!  Lisa is nice and helps me with my sewing projects but I was excited I learned how to do something without it too!  Here's how...

I started by cutting a pattern for my triangles out of cardboard.  It was about 8 inches across the top.


You can fold your fabric in half to get two triangles at once.  I traced the pattern with a pen and cut. 


To give the triangles thickness I used fusible interfacing (I bought two yards).  I bought it at Nuttall's in American Fork (53 W. Main Street).  I used the pattern to cut the same amount of triangles out of the interfacing (my banner ended up needing 14 triangles). 


To fuse the interfacing, you put the sticky side to the fabric (lining it up perfectly so they bond well), place a thin cloth over the top of the fabric, spray the cloth wet and slowly iron down the fabric...about 15 seconds for each section of the fabric.  The interfacing also comes with instructions on how to do this.


Once all the triangles were backed with interfacing it was time to tie them together.  I also purchased Stitchwitchery bonding tape at Nuttall's.  It's a thin interfacing type material about 1/2 inch wide.  You can't see it really well, but it's laid out on the top of this triangle...


I chose the lemon grass grosgrain ribbon from Walmart to tie the triangles together.  We attached two at a time by laying down the bonding tape first and lining the ribbon up perfectly on top of it.  Same process as above with bonding the interfacing.  You just don't want to do too many at a time so your ribbon stays straight and even. 


Once they were all attached to the ribbon we were done!  Really so easy!  I chose these small hooks from Hobby Lobby ($3.99 each) to hang the banner.


And here's the finished product!


Thanks for your help Lisa!  It turned out great and I can't wait to finish the room!

No comments:

Post a Comment