Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A New Swing


My mother-in-law had this porch swing in desperate need of attention.  So, the other weekend I set out to recover it!


Found this great fabric at Hobby Lobby in the decorator fabric's section.  It is heavy and will stand up well to the elements.


I made a simple 1 inch seam all the way around, leaving a channel for elastic.  Using 5/8" elastic, I threaded it through the entire thing leaving elastic tails at each end.


Place it over the cushion and pull to desired tightness.  Remove, sew elastic together, and then sew seam shut.


With a coat of brown spray paint and the recovered-cusion, it is a brand new swing!  Recovering cushions is just that easy.  Simply measure your project to be recovered, allow for 1" seams on both sides, sew slip cover, cover cushion, and you are done!

1 comment:

  1. I just recovered my porch swing and I added buttons similar to the tufting button post you did.

    ReplyDelete