Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Sacred Space for Grandmother

Last week, I had the pleasure of redoing Grandmother Kelley's room.  She had been in the hospital after a heart attack, and told Shaun she wanted me to come in and completely change her room.  Although she passed away before she could see it, Shaun still wanted me to finish it.  It was an honor to do so, and I could feel her spirit in the room when I revealed it to Shaun.  Here it is.


The quilt is a vintage one from Grandmother's house.  I took it with me to Home Fabrics and found four coordinating fabrics that worked perfectly.  I made the quilted shams, the throw pillows, and new drapes.  I added new artwork from Hobby Lobby.  The center picture was premade.  The side pics I put together with mats, prints, and frames.


I loved accessorizing her room.  This is one of my favorite groupings.  I love these vintage frames from TaiPan, and can't wait to put a picture of Grandmother in it.



This is my favorite grouping in the room.  The lamp was absolutely perfect and the one Grandmother liked best.  I made the floral arrangement for $14.  I loved the larger vintage frame, the clock, and the little birds.  I know it she would have loved it.



The curtain fabric was the perfect choice for this shabby chic room.  I found the metal signs at Rod Works.  They were such a great shape, color, and had the perfect message.






I love how the room came together and that Shaun loved it.  We stood in the room the night Grandmother died just talking about her.  In the quiet, Shaun whispered to me how much she missed her mother.  We hugged with tears streaming down our faces feeling Grandmother's spirit with us.  It truly is a sacred space.

1 comment:

  1. i love what you did with her room. makes me so sad. but i know she has seen it and loves it!! hope shaun is doing okay. it's always hard to loose a love one and especially your mother. love you lisa!

    ReplyDelete